Saturday, May 30, 2009

Shakhriston

Last weekend I took A.C. students on a 2 1/2 hour road trip to Shakhriston. It is up in the mtns. kinda near Istarafshan. We took 16 students in a van and then we had myself and three other counselors in a car. We got past serveral police check points and finally made it to this old Soviet era camp area. They told us we could stay there until the authorities came to kick us out. But no one ever came to kick us out.
We started by eating around another old carpet. Then we played some games and we were having a good time but then the rain started. It was probably like 45 degress F there and it was probably about 80 deg. in Khujand this day. So I guess we must have been high up but it didn't seem like we gained that much elevation in the drive.
We were lucky though because when it started to rain we all went in a cabin and stayed dry. We tried to play some more games inside.Then when it let up a little we went for a hike/walk in the woods. Kids were woefully undersressed and under prepared. I was ok with my REI hiking boots and waterproof/windpoof jacket and my layers of synthetic clothing but kids had all cotton on with thin socks flimsy sneakers etc etc. So we went up in the hills a ways but then it started raining again.
In fact just when we got to the top of a little bluff and decided to stop because the weather was bad and kids were tired it started to rain very hard and hail. So everyone ran under and got "into" trees seeking protection from the downpour. It was cold and wet and the kids were just getting drenched. But I knew we couldn't be pinned down on the mtn. cowering in the trees so after a few minutes when it let up a little we headed down the mtn.
We all got back to camp safely but we were all wet. I let others wear my coat, my two pairs of gloves, my stocking cap from Ireland, and my WWU sweatshirt. Soon after getting back to camp the rain stopped and it got a little sunny. It gave us just enough time to start a fire and begin to carry out our plan to prepare osh. Many of the kids went in the warm van which the driver was nice enough to start. Soon it started raining again and Madina, Mahfuza, Lola and I were cooking osh under umbrellas in the rain trying to keep the fire going. It usually takes 1 hour to cook osh but it took us 3 because of the elevation and the fire. Finally we had it prepared and it was delicious and we had far more than 19 hungry people plus the drivers could eat. When it wasn't raining we played volleyball but the rain really did limit our activities. But no one ever complained. Kids were cold and wet but they kept their spirts up and as far as I know no one got sick. At one point Madina took off her shoes and went bare foot in the cold wet mud because her little sneakers were so soaked and everyone was just soaked. But most of the kids had never been here even though it isn't that far away. People here rarely travel and don't really see much of their own country. This may sound like a disasterous trip to you but I had students telling me it was the best time in their lives. They said they just didn't tell their parents about all the challenging parts because then they wouldn't let them go again. I know that every student had a good time in the end and was glad they went.
I always ask myself, "was it better than staying home?" the answer is always yes and therefore I'm happy.
This week was even more crazy though but you'll have to wait till next weekend to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment