Sunday, June 21, 2009

Final Exams

I made my own final test for my students in English Practice 211. I did it pretty much like I do in the U.S. I had vocabulary on it, reading comprehension questions, writing, and speaking. I did the speaking individually while other students completed the reading and writing portions. Then I had to score each test and give a grade immediately after the test. I couldn't leave the univ. until all the tests were scored and the offical documents signed. This made for a long day but at least it was over with. Except for the students who didn't pass they had to take it again. They have up to three chances to pass the test.
The Grammar three exam was made for me. All the third year grammar students have to take the same exam. The exam consists of 19 "tickets." My assistant and I put these tickets (slips of paper) face down on our teacher's desk. Then we have 5-6 students stay in the room and select a ticket from our desk at random. Then the student has to sit down and take 20 min. or so to prepare to answer the questions on the ticket. This test consisted of three questions on each ticket. The first question was a theory question. For example, In a complex sentence explain the purpose and function of a subject clause and give us examples both with and without the anticapatory "it." Also tell us how subject clauses can be introduced.
The second question was about the oblique mood and we let students use a sheet of paper to write down their responses before coming and reporting to us about this question. For example, students had to change this sentence into a conditional sentence:

"The pavement was so slippery that I fell and hurt my leg."

The student needs to say: If the pavement hadn't been so slippery I wouldn't have fallen and hurt my leg. (This is an example of negative past unreal conditional using the oblique mood)

Or the students were given a sentence like this:

"The sea is rough; we cannot sail to the island."

The student needs to say: If the sea wasn't rough we could sail to the island. (Present Unreal Conditional using the Oblique mood)

Then part three of the exam was a full morphological-syntactical analysis of a given sentence.
For example: "Nobody blamed Tess as she blamed herself."
The students had to say the subject is "Nobody" expressed by a pro-noun
The predicate is "blamed" expressed by a simple verbal predicate in the past tense.
"Tess" is the direct object expressed by a propper noun
"as she blamed herself" is a subortinate adverbial clause of comparison introduced by the conjunction "as."
"Nobody blamed Tess" is the principle clause
The students had to come to our desk and answer these three questions orally. The students were allowed to write down some notes on a sheet of paper for questions two and three.
Students were really sweating it because many didn't regulary come to class and didn't study the weeks and days leading up to the exam. Students weren't allowed to use their books or notes so we had students cheating looking at their notes. it was just like high school. Again imediatley after the students finished answering the quetions I had to give them a grade and say it right to their face. Some students were happy others were very upset and almost crying. it took all morning and in the end the students brought us a nice lunch and tea. We ate lunch in the classroom. It took from about 8 -1 pm because we had 28 students to examin.
The final resuts were:
Five students with 5 or A.
Eight students with 4 or B.
One student with 3 or C.
Eleven students with 2 or F.
Three students were absent.

If they failed they have to take the exam again in September. That means I don't have to worry about it; for this I'm very grateful. It was a hard course to teach, a hard course to study and without the help of a fellow teacher I don't know what I would have done. The book was old soviet from 1966 and I don't teach this stuff in the U.S. But I made it.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment