Saturday, June 27, 2009

summer camp coming up

I spent a lot of time this week getting ready for summer camp which is next week. I also wrote and submitted my final report of my activities to all the interested parties such as Georgetown University etc. I've been stressed out lately. Thrirty six students coming to summer camp. wish me luck. 6 counselors including me! it has been hard to get out to the sanatorium because President Rahmon is in town and he has a big vacation house right on the reserviour right next to the sanatorium where we are going to have our camp. The security up here is very tight when he comes to town. Today is Reconciliation Day marking the end of their civil war which ended in 1997. This is when President Rahmon came to power and he has held the power since. The president leaves tonight so after that everything will be back to normal again.
I really think the camp will be outstanding. We have put countless hours into planning it. No one has ever done a camp like this before here. It is totally new and revolutionary. The focus is mutal understanding, tolerance and democracy. We just got the government permission to do the camp at the 11th hour on Friday. Madina the director of the American Corner suffered a bad fall and has to stay in bed for the last 5 days. Another counselor is sick. They changed when the last day of univeristy classes will be from the 27th to the 30th. So some still have exams. I told u about the president coming. It's just been crazy one thing after another. One of our original couselors had to go to Russia for major surgery and his replacement has to give university exams on the 29th and 30th. But we will have enough couselors etc. we will pull it off. I feel like I'm in an episode of the Apprentice. Half the time it is damage control half the time it is work and I am working with a great time of young women. It won't be easy but it will be worth it I predict. The t-shirts are already beautiful. No one in Seattle will have a t-shirt with a picture of Northern Tajikistan on it but now I do. I love it.

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate the job you did in Khujand and wish you to realise all of your tremendous thoughts and plans.
    sincerely Nigora

    ReplyDelete