Sunday, July 5, 2009

American Corner Summer Camp

I came home from the American Corner summer camp today July 5th and dropped both my bags on the floor and collapsed onto my bed imediately. I was totally exhausted and at 10:30 am. My clothes and feet were dirty and teeth unbrushed. But this is camp was one of the top five things I've done in my life. It was unbelievably positive and totally worth all the energy it took. The students had an experience of a lifetime it was an extremely powerful experience for them; one they will never forget. The six days just flew by so fast it was amazing. Maybe sometime I'll have time to detail more about how we pulled it off but the whole thing from beginning to end went more or less as we planned. Except two couselors who had to leave one to help her mom and the other to look after his ailing father. All the couselors put all their heart and energy into making the camp great. No, one person could have pulled it off alone. We had six counselors and we were constanly busy. I was basically running from one thing to the next the whole time all 6 days.
In the weeks leading up to the camp I was just focused on this camp now it is nice to have it finished and finished right.
The kids were great they were like a big family. They said the American Corner is like their second home I feel like a father figure for some of these kids and some of the other couselors like Mahfuza or Masuda are like mothers. I don't really have the strength to detail everything right now. I got only 3 hours of sleep last night due to the late night disco and the 4:15 am wake-up by 22 students wanting to watch the sun rise. But if I die now I can at least say I've done a great thing with the help of others by organizing this camp. Words can not fully express what this camp meant to kids and how positive it was. There are so many beautiful stories that it was just incrediable. It feels so good to make so many happy. It was the exclmation point, the culminating project for this amazing year. Now I need to rest more. I've been going a mile a minute for as long as I can remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment