Saturday, December 27, 2008

Holidays

On Christmas I was in Kanibodam which is North of here about 90 km. They had a graduation ceremony/holiday party for the kids who participated in this U.S. funded NGO's program. I dressed up as Santa and gave kids certificates. I didn't organize any of the events I just came and lent my support and participated in a couple of the games. I notice a big difference between the students and people in the regions vs. the students and people in Khujand. The people in the regions especially the students are very conservative and shy especially the girls. The young people in Khujand seem more modern than the people in the regions. But the region people are very nice. I'm always surprised by how many abandoned or half finished blds. I see on my way out there. There is not a lot out there except some houses and apricot orchards.
Then on the 26th we had a huge party at the American Corner. About 40 students came. We sang Jingle Bells, Deck the Hall, The Twelve Days of Christmas, we had sparklers, games, a white elephant gift exchange, candy, we made paper snowflakes, I granted students' wishes and dressed up as Santa the kids had a really great time. They made a video for me and gave me a set of tea cups and saucers. I felt very lucky to be with them and they were all overjoyed with delight. Interestingly the party was scheduled from 2-4. Some young women 20s or so had to leave at 3:30 or 4:00 because it was late for them. The party lasted 'till 4:30 pm and we still didn't have time to play all the games. Here 5 pm is late. Most girls and women are home by 5 pm or there abouts. I knew about 5 pm. But I was a bit surprised when these college age women said that 3:30 was too late for them. They had to get home and help their mothers. Boys can stay out later. I guess I learn something new every day here. I'll try to put some pics. up on Sunday. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment