Tuesday, December 16, 2008

winter wishes

At the AmericanCorner today we decorated the Christmas tree and put tinsel all over the place. Then I asked the kids to think of something they want for Christmas/New Year and explain why because it is discusion club. It turned out to be a very strange question for them they are not used to thinking about what they want. They said they wanted things like world peace, that everyone is healthy, and that they were thankful for my help and lessons. They couldn't think of any material things that they wanted. The idea was to get them to write about something they want for New Years and then we could buy it for them and give it to them at the holiday party on the 26th. I never thought that they would be unable to come up with anything they want.
I think the reaction in the U.S. would have been different and this demonstrates a big cultural difference between the U.S. and here. I'm learning new things all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment