Friday, March 6, 2009

Article

http://experts.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/02/26/to_win_hearts_and_minds_get_back_in_the_game

Above I've included a link that I hope works. It is to an article by Senator Lugar. I agree with him. We are losing the game to win hearts and minds. But that's why my work here is so important because what he suggests doing is exactly what I am doing. I'm out in the community every day giving lessons, running activities. I can't go a block here without someone stopping me and wanting to talk to me. It's a problem I'm too popular almost. The American Corner here is accesible to people here and it is getting better with new computers, a real budget and fair compensation for services done. I'm having a huge impact but I'm just one man we need more people and resources to do more I can't do it all. I'm already working myself to exhaustion almost every day. I'm in competition with Iran and Russia here and I don't think I'm winning enough of the time.
You may not realize it but because of its location, and cultural heritage Tajikistan is a very important country for the U.S. Its kinda a cross between Iran/Islamic and Russian/Old Soviet. Both these countries and ideas have really shaped this country. People here have a lot of misconceptions about Americans they just believe what they see on MTV and in the movies. They are surprised when I say I don't do drugs, smoke, or have casual sex. That's why I'm here to teach people more about what Americans are really like. This is just what Sen. Lugar from Indiana suggested.

No comments:

Post a Comment