Sunday, February 15, 2009

Hiking

I had my first hiking club today and it went well. I had 6 young men show up. We hiked up a small mtn. near Khujand. they had never been hiking before so they weren't really prepared but they made it. One boy had a thick wool tablecloth and he actually carried this all the the way to the summit. Another boy had a bowl of buckwheat and pasta, another boy had about 5 one liter bottles of lemonade held together by the plastic packaging wrap they were bought in. By the time we got to the base of the Mtn. the boys were all already overheated and stripping off their warm sweaters and coats. So we left their coats and what not at the base of the Mtn. Shoes also were a problem some boys had holes in their shoes and with no trail and rough sharp rocks this makes for a tough go. Three boys and me made it right up the mtn. without too much of a problem. The other three boys fell behind but eventually made the summit about 20 min. after us. I thought about being like the mountaineers and telling them what to bring and not to bring on the hike but I just let them learn from their mistakes. I only told them to bring water and they all brought cola and what not. Besides they might not have understood me if I told them what to bring. The bowl with food was left on the mtn. But all the boys had a great time they took a ton of pictures and they can't wait to go again next week. It is good physical exercise for them and a great bonding opportunity for us. when they looked at the mtn. they thought they could never climb up it but they did and discovered it wasn't as bad as they thought. A metaphor for life. I think there will be some sore legs though. No girls have come yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment