Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day

We had a very successful Valentine's Day party at the American Corner Friday February 13th. When we started the party we had exactly 28 students. I know this because I gave the girls a half of a red paper heart and the boys half of a pink heart and then told them to find the other half of their paper heart. This was to be their partner throughout the party. Paring women and men up here and having them play games together is slightly revolutionary but I figured it was valentine's day so why not. It worked any way. But we had more girls than boys. So girls were with girls. But after the initial 28 students about 20 more came so it was just a crush of people. It was just crazy people couldn't even get in the door of the American Corner at one point. But we played a lot of games. We had a three legged race outside again slightly revolutionary and they loved it. We had a dance competition that featured a ballet, Georgian dancing, arabian dancing, and a waltz. Yes Georgian dancing from the country of Georgia is popular here go figure. This dance competition was all conceived by a Tajik girl. In total we had 9 different games and activities. It was two hours of non-stop fun and excitment.
Three weeks ago the director of the A.C. put a box outside the A.C. and told students to write their "love confessions" and put them in the box. Then before the party we decided who wrote the best love letter and then read the letters at the party. Well there were 5 letters in the box when we opened it this morning. One of the 5 was written by me. Three were love letters to me and one was a love letter to parents that was plagerized. Sometime I will put the text of these love letters on this blog. The love letters to me where quite overwhelming.
We also collected toys and candy at the party for orphans and the kids really came through and brought a lot of toys. Now we will go and personally deliver these gifts to the orphans in the name of the American Corner.
I will put pictures online as well as soon as I get them. If you ever have any questions e-mail me because I never know what to put on this blog.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment