Wednesday, February 25, 2009

orphanage

In boy scouts they say do a good turn daily and I really did a good turn yesterday tuesday with the help of my friends. We collected toys at our valentine's day party on the 13th. Then yesterday we went to an orphanage to give the toys and candy away. This was a collaborative action between IREX program alumni and regular american corner goers. We had about 16-17 american corner goers and 4 or 5 IREX alumi. We went to the orphanage in the afternoon and cleaned up their grounds. Boys tilled the earth. Girls sweeped and cleaned up grabage. 3 or 4 others and myself had the task of digging a tree stump out. I was wearing my shirt and tie so I wasn't really ready to weild an axe and pick-axe but I helped. The tree trunk was about 5 in. in diameter so it wasn't a huge tree but the roots were conected with other trees so it was hard.
Anyway we finally got the stump out after an hour. Then we went in the orphanage and gave 2 and 3 presents to all the orphans and handfulls of candy. There were 13 orphans age 5-7 I think. The kids loved the toys and we loved giving the gifts away. Then we met with another group about 10 two year olds and gave them candy and presents too. The staff wouldn't let me take pictures inside which is too bad because they would have been really poweful photos. Some of the kids appeared happy and normal but some couldn't get out of bed, others just had their chins buried in their chests and never looked up at all no matter what we did. It was really powerful stuff and everyone teenagers and toddlers alike came away happy. We'll do it again. All in a days work. But that is what I call full service getting a stump out and a lot of smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment