Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lives

I always felt like when I was playing basketball that my play greatly determined whether or not my team won or lost. It is like that with teaching too. A teacher can greatly determine whether or not students learn. Here this effect is even more pronounced. My actions are talked about and watched and I have a big impact on people. A lot of people's dreams and hopes are tied to my actions and work. This creates a great opportunity for me but also a huge responsibility. A teacher in the U.S. has a big responsibility but here my responsibility seems much bigger- it keeps me awake at night. Let me give you some examples.
a. debate club- I started a debate club at my univ. last week we had a lively discussion about whether or not it is appropriate for girls/women to wear head scarves to school. It was great but now there won't be a debate club for two weeks because I will be gone and they refused to do it without me.
b. hiking- no one goes hiking unless I go.
c. I have young (18 yrs. old) mothers rearranging their schedules with their families and husbands just so they can come to my lesson. Their passion for knowledge and drive to be successful despite many obstacles is amazing. I can't let them down with bad lessons.
b. Helping a woman prepare for an interview so that she can study in the U.S. for Grad. School.
Etc......
It is sometimes overwhelming the number of people who are depending on me and want me to do something for them. The stakes are high but I try not to let it get to me but when you are dealing with people's lives and dreams sometimes it is hard. I always want to be winning but that is almost impossible to do all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment