Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year

I'm slowly trying to get my students to use this blog. The post before this one was from three of my best English students. I think you would be surprised at how well they know English given the textbooks they have to work with and the various other serrious constraining factors that I don't feel at liberty to mention right now. That's probably not a grammaticaly correct sentence but whatever. It's funny here I teach a lot of grammar. At the universityI have two grammar classes and I'm also teaching grammar from the TOEFL preparation book. I don't teach a lot of grammar in the U.S. I'm more focused on writing and reading in Tacoma. So it is both interesting and boring for me but I try to make it interesting for my students. For example, right now I'm teaching about declarative, interogative and exclamatory sentences. And of course as you all know there are 4 types of interogative sentences- general, disjunctive, special and alternative. Hey! It's what they want me too teach and I use a text from the 1960s with examples from Dickens and Bronte. Fun stuff I tell ya.
But yesterday I had to teach about interjections like- ah, oh, humph etc. It was kinda fun acting these out and making sentences with them.
I also helped re-write the Tajiki national anthem recently in English I changed "name" to reputation and "sucessors" to generation just so it would rhyme and sound pretty.
I've been pretty lucky with my electricity 24/7 but a lot of people here go without especially in the regions. It's been super cold here too. Near freezing.
I'm organizing dramatic performances of Martin Luther King Jr.'s life such as the Montgomery Bus Boycott, when he was put in jail in Albany, Georgia and so on. It seems to be going pretty well. But I always feel stressed out cuz I got a lot going on. I always have a lot of ideas in my head and some will work out and some won't.
I guess it is raining back in Seattle so stay dry and enjoy these pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment